And the radio man says...

Copyright Ian Shane

08 April 2010

Fill Month Continues – Scene From “Public Enemy”

As I noted in a previous blog post, after I finished Radio Radio, my next project would have been a feature length screenplay titled Public Enemy. It focused on John Dillinger’s life after he was arrested in Arizona and extradited back to Indiana.

A few months after I started the project (which by the way was backed by eight years of research), I heard a Wisconsin Public Radio news report about Michael Mann’s movie Public Enemies, a film about John Dillinger starring Johnny Depp.

I was crushed, and I tabled the project for good. So, since I don’t plan on finishing it anytime soon, I’d thought that I would post one of the fist scenes of the film.



EXT. CROWN POINT PRISON – NIGHT
TITLE:
“Crown Point State Prison”
The cars come to a halt in front of the state jail. The ’33 Ford that is carrying Dillinger is approached by two uniformed officers. On of the officers opens the doors, and the two plain clothes detectives get out and lead Dillinger to the door.

Estill runs from behind to catch them.

ESTILL
Hold on a second there.

The two detectives stop. The first detective turns his head around. Estill is still trying to catch up to the three men.

ESTILL(CON’T)
I’ll take him from here.

DETECTIVE 1
Are you sure, sir?

DILLINGER
Of course he’s sure.

Estill takes Dillinger’s left arm. The two detectives let go and take a step back.

DILLINGER
He has reporters and photographers in there waiting for him to bring in John Dillinger.

ESTILL
Are you trying to get a rise out of me, Dillinger?

DILLINGER
No, sir. My father taught me to never disrespect someone who is gracious enough to host me.

ESTILL
Already trying to be a model prisoner.

DILLINGER
I’ve always been a model prisoner, sir.

Estill flashes a cocky smile.

ESTILL
Ready to meet the press?

DILLINGER
I always enjoy an audience.

Estill leads Dillinger up the front stairs of the brick building. There are two more armed police officers. Each one grabs a door and opens them simultaneously.

The CAMERA FOLLOWS Estill and Dillinger into—

INT. CROWN POINT JAIL – CONTINUOUS
As Dillinger and Estill enter the building, there are about fifteen to twenty reporters and photographers in the main room. The reporters are shouting questions for both Estill and Dillinger. Flash bulbs are going off. Estill leads Dillinger past them to the first jail cell. Waiting for them on the other side of the sea of press men is SHERIFF LILLIAN HOLLEY joins them. She is a stoic 40ish woman with dark hair. She is clearly not happy with the press presence. By her demeanor, Estill strong armed her into letting the press in.

Estill stops and turns around, taking Dillinger with him. Dillinger is to Estill’s left, and Lillian Holley is to his right. Dillinger smirks, knowing that he is about to upstage the ambitious district attorney. Estill takes the handcuff key out of his pocket, and unlocks Dillinger’s cuffs. Dillinger looks a little surprised that Estill would free him while he was not in a cell. Dillinger massages his wrists and flexes his fingers. Estill raises both hands, almost victoriously.

ESTILL
Gentlemen of the press, this is a glorious day in the history in Indiana Justice—

Sherriff Holley rolls her eyes and mutters, “Oh brother.”

ESTILL(CON’T)
The capture and extradition of this man is made possible by the joint cooperation of the Arizona State Police, and the Indiana Department of Justice.

One reporter raises his hand.

REPORTER 1
Mr. Estill, John Dillinger is wanted in many other states. How did you get him.

ESTILL
We asked.

REPORTER 2
Mr. Estill, what do you say to the people who say that your pursuit of John Dillinger is nothing more than a stunt to get to the Governor’s Mansion?

ESTILL
I’d say even my critics think that I can be Governor.

REPORTER 2
Well, what do you think, Mr. Dillinger? Are you the sacrificial lamb for Governor Estill?

Estill looks at Dillinger and shoots him a foreboding look.

DILLINGER
I don’t know.

Dillinger looks at Estill and pats him on his back.

DILLINGER(CON’T)
I think that he’d make a fine Governor.

REPORTER 2
Why do you say that?

Dillinger flashes a smile.

DILLINGER
I like his tough position on crime.

The reporters laugh.

REPORTER 3
Mr. Dillinger. Were you involved in the killing of a police officer during the First National Bank and Trust robbery in East Chicago?

DILLINGER
Of course not. I was in Florida that day. And call me John.

REPORTER 3
There are witnesses that said that you were the man who killed Officer O’Malley.

DILLINGER
The witnesses saw a man of medium height and medium build with dark slicked back hair kill Officer O’Malley. Now, that could be anybody. As a matter of fact—

He seizes up the Reporter.

DILLINGER(CON’T)
You match that description.

Some of the reporters laugh

DILLINGER(CON’T)
Where were you on January 15th.

REPORTER 3
In Terre Haute with my in-laws.

DILLINGER
You should have been in Florida with me. You would have had a better time.

All of the reporters laugh.

REPORTER 3
You’re probably right, John.

DILLINGER
I’m against killing. It’s an option of last resort that I have never taken.

REPORTER 4
So you do admit that you rob banks.

DILLINGER
Absolutely.

The reporter is a little surprised at Dillinger’s honesty.

REPOTER 4
Why?

DILLINGER
Legal fees.

The reporters laugh again, as do some of the police officers. Estill is starting to get annoyed that the focus of the press conference has shifted from him to Dillinger.

DILLINGER
I rob banks, but they aren’t the good guys. I seem to read in your newspapers that banks all over the country are closing and keeping people’s money. They rob from families and create orphans on a daily basis. These are the people I take from. In the interest of fairness, I challenge Mr. Estill to bring justice to every bank president in Indiana so I don’t have to.

The reporters start to clap and cheer. Dillinger smiles and looks over to Estill.

DILLINGER
They seem to like it. You can use it on the campaign trail, if you want to.

ESTILL
(coldly)
I’ll keep that in mind.

REPORTER 2
John, what do you think of the “escape proof” Crown Point Jail?

Dillinger smirks.

DILLINGER
Well, it’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live here.

The reporters laugh again.

2 comments:

Buzz Stephens said...

Here is the link to a short interview with Judy Garland where she talks about meeting John Dillinger and getting his autograph outside the Biograph theater just a few moments before he was shot and killed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBjjo6OuAQ

Ian Shane said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the vid and for reading the post. I like your blog, by the by.