And the radio man says...

Copyright Ian Shane

02 November 2008

Seriously? Central Michigan?

This post orginally was posted on my Indianapolis Star Blog "Tales of a Hoosier Ex-Pat"

I went to firebilllynch.com today, to see if anyone had started the inevitable site. To my dismay, I didn’t see anything. Shocking, I know. Almost as shocking as losing to the second MAC team this year.

I was really hoping that Indiana (3-6, 1-4 Big Ten, 0-2 MAC) would build off of its bowl bid from last year. I was thinking that the Hoosiers were finally back. A new tradition was building.
But it’s painfully obvious that the fire that was building in Memorial Stadium died the exact moment Terry Hoepner passed away. Last year’s seven win season was the coasting of a promising legacy cut tragically short by the death of a passionate talented coach. That legacy was trusted to the man who ran Ball State's football team into the ground.
Indiana lost to Central Michigan. And not only did they lose to the Chippewas, they lost to their back up quarterback. At home. Against a MAC team. Again.

As much as I want to see Hoep’s dream of “defending the rock” at every home game continue with his assistant, it’s time to think about a new tradition, or at least a new direction.

No comments: