And the radio man says...

Copyright Ian Shane

11 August 2008

Goodbye, Children

I was quite saddened to hear that Isaac Hayes died earlier today. To me, he was more than the voice of Chef, or the guy who sang “Shaft”. Isaac Hayes and David Porter wrote “Hold On, I’m Comin’,” the song that got me into blues.

I had the honor to meet Isaac and David about a month ago at the Conclave in Minneapolis. They were being honored by BMI for their accomplishments as a song writing duo. Isaac, who had suffered a stroke last year, was slow to answer questions, but was proud of the fact that he was still performing. After that session was over, I walked over to him, shook his hand, and thanked him for the music he and David had created. He smiled, thanked me for listening, and gave me his autograph. It now has a place of honor in my music room.

On The Show, this week, I will honor Isaac with one of the songs he wrote.

No comments: