And the radio man says...

Copyright Ian Shane

20 November 2009

My Latest Musical Crack - I And Love And You by the Avett Brothers


It's been a month since I first heard this song, and I can't get enough of it.

I first heard "I And Love And You" when I was driving D home from a very long day. I had a wedding to go to, D had a school dance to set up. We then met up for the "Ghost, Graves and Caves" tour of St. Paul with our friend Anna. The three of us had some Indian food, and then D and I went to close out the school dance and strike the set (for lack of a better phrase…it's my old high school drama lingo coming back).

It had been a nice day and the windows were down (rare for Minnesota in October) on the drive home. We were both exhausted, and I turned on 89.3. I heard this haunting piano melody backing a beautiful harmonized story about a guy who is leaving town and leaving his girlfriend a note. He has the hardest time telling her "I love you."

As soon as I got home, I went to the computer and bought the song on Amazon. Every time I hear it, I can't but help think about the ending of my book, and if it ever became a movie, it'd be a perfect song to close out the story (And that's all I'm going to say about the tie in. If you want to know what I'm writing about buy the book).

The song is a shoe-in nomination for Anthology X1, which should be compiled in the first week of January. I should have the track listing posted as soon as it is done.

No comments: